Technical Lead (Software Development) | IT Recruitment
- The company is looking for a dynamic Technical Lead who will play a key part in leading the Retail IT Business Intelligence development team. As this is a hands-on role, you will also be involved in adding and maintaining features to our world-class software and be involved in all facets of the software development process.
- The Retail IT BI Team builds and maintains a reporting capability that supports our clients via our web sites, bulk communication, and supports our business through self service capabilities. The team is responsible to maintaining and improving our data marts, ETLs and reporting front ends.
- You will liaise with other Senior IT Members and make sure that the technical vision of the company is translated and preserved. Part of this includes performing management duties such as career guidance and performance appraisals.
- As Technical Lead you will ensure the design of clear and simple solutions and that elegant robust code is written as well as provide guidance in troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- You will be responsible for several systems including the historical data warehouse, ODS, Screening, KaneRDB, underlying self-service architecture, Qlikview, SSRS, and SSAS
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Science or related discipline
- Lead a team of developers
- Liaise with senior IT members in Cape Town and build software and processes accordingly
- Perform managerial tasks such as: career guidance, performance appraisals etc.
- Design clean and simple solutions
- Ensure that elegant robust code is written
- Improve and optimize the performance of existing systems
- Provide guidance in troubleshooting root-cause errors
- Ensure that unit, integration and acceptance tests for all components are written
- Ensure that appropriate regression tests are written
- Ensure that build automation scripts are written
- Ensure that appropriate monitoring and alerting is in place for the various systems
- Periodic capacity monitoring planning for our relevant tech.
- Assist with tech analysis where required
- At least 5 years’ worth of professional BI development experience
- Experience leading and mentoring other software developers
- Line management including career development
- Is able to perform night support
- Strong software design skills
- Strong understanding of software development process.
- Proficiency in programming languages ( T-SQL, PS/SQL, C#, Scala)
- Proficiency in BI and other programming tech (SSMS, SSRS, Qlikview, SSIS, SSAS, GITLab)
- Experience in system integration, distributed computing and building enterprise-wide systems
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes and testing
- Needs to be a critical thinker with good troubleshooting capabilities, including knowing when to log for future investigations.
- Needs to have good clear communication skills
Nice to have:
- Exposure to developing for AWS platform
- Development of monitoring and alerting in Grafana / Redgate / Dynatrace / Kibana