Security Engineer L3 | IT Recruitment
- The Security Engineer L3 is a high level in the Engineer series and may be assigned to function as a supervisor, expert or leader. When assigned as a supervisor, develops, coordinates and executes policies, methods and procedures, and supervises personnel; when assigned as an expert, performs work requiring a very high level of technical knowledge of a specific area or ability to integrate at a high level the knowledge of several areas, manages and provides technical leadership of projects involving large-scale, complex and highly analytical tasks. Positions at this level are distinguished from Senior Engineers, in that the latter performs more specific and small-scale, though complex, analytical tasks. Work is performed within a broad framework of general policy and requires creativity and resourcefulness to accomplish goals and objectives, and in applying concepts, plans and strategies which may deviate from traditional methods and practices. Serves as a lead technical contact and systems integrator for large complex deployments, with a focus on securing vulnerabilities and reducing risk of system and/or asset compromises.
- Oversees the response to information system security incidents, including investigation of, countermeasures to, and recovery from computer-based attacks, unauthorized access, and policy breaches; engages, interacts and coordinates with third-party incident responders, including law enforcement.
- Oversees the administration of authentication and access controls, including provisioning, changes, and deprovisioning of user and system accounts, security/access roles, and access permissions to information assets.
- Analyses trends, news and changes in threat and compliance environment with respect to organizational risk; advises organization management and develops and executes plans for compliance and mitigation of risk; oversees risk and compliance self-assessments, and engages and coordinates third-party risk and compliance assessments.
- Analyses and oversees the development of information security governance, including organizational policies, procedures, standards, baselines and guidelines with respect to information security and use and operation of information systems.
- Oversees the development and administration of information security training and awareness programs.
Co-ordinate activities of engineers
- The Security Engineer L3 displays leadership and team management ability and delegates lower complexity tasks to engineers and technicians. They assume responsibility for the co-ordination of the activities of the engineers, in line with performance targets. They lead by example and monitor the quality of engineer’s and technician’s work when required. Mentorship of engineers and technicians is expected on this role.
Produce and use reports
- The individual demonstrates good administration ability in the form of proposal and report writing, and general project documentation development. The individual may be required to serve periodically on the customer service desk, providing third line telephonic, remote and on-site support and problem management.
Take ownership of relevant technologies
- Focusing on Cisco, Fortinet, Palo Alto and other network security related technologies the Security Engineer is expected to take ownership of implementations, maintenance and operations of information system security controls and countermeasures
- As corporate citizens they are good team players and exhibit the required level of management skills required from junior level managers. He or she practices two-way communication and listens to understands other’s point of view.
Academic Qualifications and Certifications:
- Computer Science / Information Technology Degree or equivalent together with specialised training in
- new technologies and legacy systems or equivalent
- Network security certifications (vendor certifications)
- Competence and certification in other technologies, Fortinet, Palo Alto, Checkpoint.
- Microsoft Azure Fundamentals (AZ-900)
- Microsoft Azure Security Technologies (AZ-500) a plus
- Fortinet NSE certifications
- Palo Alto Networks Certified Network Security Administrator (PCNSE) a plus
- Industry certifications (CISSP, CISM, S+) a plus
- 10 – 15 years solid work experience in a technical implementation engineering or similar role
- Experience engaging with clients and conducting presentations
- End to end deployment and support of above-mentioned technologies
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Security Engineers work closely with clients, displaying good client engagement skills and engaging at a high level of professionalism.
- They are required to interact with clients on site to meet more complex requirements of a solution.
- Problems and issues that cannot be resolved are escalated to the relevant third parties.
- Assists in analysing, planning, implementing, maintaining, troubleshooting and enhancing large complex systems or networks consisting of a combination that may will include several security products, demonstrates project management and administration ability.
- They write reports and assist with input for proposals and project documentation. Security Engineer (Senior) ensure the compilation of the documentation of standard operating procedures relating to installations and fixes.
- Certification, both in vendor, technology and product is elevated to a specialized level and activities continue to progress towards an expert level.
- Interact with clients on site to meet complex requirements of a solution.
- Escalate unresolved problems and issues to the relevant third parties.
- Respond to escalated client requests and support client applications to a first line resolution.
- Escalate complex problems to the relevant third parties.
- Write reports and proposals and complete and maintain project documentation.
- Assist with the documentation of standard operating procedures relating to installations and fixes.
- Act as coach and mentor to team.
- Assume responsibility for the co-ordination of the activities of the Engineers, in line with performance targets.
- Will be required to serve periodically on the customer service desk, providing third line telephonic, remote and on-site support and problem management.
- Included in higher complexity design work, with input to the design expected.
- Expected to take ownership of relevant technologies according to domain or specialization.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Good understanding and appreciation of technical design and business principles
- Demonstrates project management and administration ability
- Good project skills which are demonstrated in the execution of installations and other assignments
- Demonstrate customer engagement skills
- Demonstrate relevant domain specialist knowledge
- Good verbal communication skills
- Client focused and display a proactive approach to solving problems
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to coach, mentor and provide guidance to team members
- Good understanding of project management principles
- Be proficient in the implementation, configuration of the products in the security GTM.