Quality Assurance Engineer II
- Identify opportunities for automation within software processes.
- Design and execute QA tests using scripts that automatically test functionality.
- Run tests for databases, systems, networks, applications, hardware and software.
- Identify bugs and quality issues in development, service or business processes.
- Install applications and databases relevant to automation.
- Collaborate with other business units to understand how automation can improve workflow.
- Gather requirements from clients, customers or end-users to develop the best automation solutions
Key Performance Areas / Outputs:
- Test case / script generation and review.
- Test prerequisites compilation.
- Test execution and recording.
- High quality and accurate maintenance of the test packs.
- Test status updates.
- Test closure activities
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS AND INDICATORS:
KPA 1: Test case generation and review
- Identify what to test by translating functional and business requirement specifications into testable test plans and test cases.
- Identify and document key test scenarios.
- Document or automate the test cases.
- Determine the prerequisites.
- Determine the test criteria.
- Record the expected results.
- Review final test cases with test lead.
- Obtain sign-off.
KPA 2: Test prerequisites compilation
- Identify required test materials.
- Obtain test material, e.g., test data.
- Identify the required test environment.
- Ensure test environment setup, e.g., test server access and test logins.
- Prepare test results pack for results recording and sign-off.
KPA 3: Test execution and recording
- Follow the written test case/ specification or execute the automated scripts / test suites
- Record test results.
- Compare actual results against expected results or review automation run results and debug any script failures
- Record pass/fail status of each test case.
- Report, record and assign defects identified.
- Retest / rerun and update on fixed defects.
- Execute / run regression tests.
- Maintain the test environments.
KPA 4: Maintenance of high quality and accuracy
- Understand the application under test and ensure that it meets the necessary expectations as defined by business.
- Ensure Quality Assurance of all testing activities.
- Maintain test documentation to reflect current system operations. Identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Support improvement of testing process and initiatives.
- Continued maintenance and upkeep of the automated scripts
KPA 5: Test status updates
- Provide feedback to the development team and ensure the work is carried out in accordance with the schedule and the quality requirements.
- Inform management of any negative trends in the quality of software in preand post-production.
- Provide estimates and feedback to the Team Lead for project scheduling purposes.
- Ensure effective communication with key stakeholders.
- Prepare and maintain test tracking report.
KPA 6: Test closure activities
- Ensure test completion – no outstanding high-risk issues, defects have been fixed and retested or deferred or accepted as permanent restrictions.
- Handover test artefacts to people who need it in the future, e.g., maintenance or support teams.
- Participate in project retrospectives and contribute and document lessons learned
- Archive test work products, like test results, test logs, test status reports etc.
Impact Of Decision:
- Time Span – Operational
- Problem Solving – Complex
- Risk of decisions – Internal and External
- Financial impact – None
- Influence of work – Operational
- Work proficiency – Professional
- Demands of change – Complex. Very detailed. Sometimes urgency is required.
|Formal Education Grade 12||Yes|
|Diploma or Degree qualified (IT or related technical)||Yes|
|ISTQB Foundation Level||Yes|
Job Related Experience:
|Manual testing experience||2-3 years||Yes|
|SQL experience||2-3 years||Yes|
|Automation scripting experience||5-7 years||Yes|
|Testing in a retail / financial sector||1-2 years||Yes|
|Testing in an Agile environment||1-2 years||Yes|
Job Related Experience:
|Google Suite||1-2 years||Yes|
|Knowledge of functional testing, system testing, integration testing, regression testing, automation scripting and execution||5-7 years||Yes|
|Knowledge of systems testing, integration testing
|Knowledge of non-functional testing – performance testing||2-3 years||Yes|
|Knowledge of non-functional testing – security testing||1-2 years||Yes|
|Knowledge of non-functional testing – usability testing||1-2 years||Yes|
Job Related Skills:
|· Build enhancements to test frameworks increasing speed and productivity
· GUI/API automation/performance solutions using different tools
· Refinement of automation/performance tech methodologies and approach
· Innovate solutions and idea improving SQA processes
· Define metrics and measurements to evaluate automation/performance effectiveness
· Analysis, design and implement automation/ performance solutions
· Assist with the facilitation of project workshops and scoping sessions
· Compile automation task or project estimations
· Pilot and demo bespoke automation/performance solutions
· Provide coaching and development opportunities for junior test team members
· Develop, Train and lead junior team members in automation testing methods and best practices
· Prepare Reusable functions, which improve the robustness, re-usability, and maintainability of their test scripts.
· Influence the direction of the automation effort, and its schedule and prioritization
· Respond to technical issues to resolve and follow up
· Collaborate with other IT and application resources and teams
|· Collaboratively work with the rest of the QA team to refine quality assurance practices and technique within the greater team
· Work with the support team to interpret and implement quality assurance standards for the context of the project or BAU ticket
· In sprint / release automation
· In sprint / release manual testing if automation is not possible
· Pair / collaborative testing with the developers in the support team
· Continually evaluate the adequacy of quality assurance standards in their projects
· Devise sampling procedures and directions for recording and reporting quality data
· Review the implementation and efficiency of quality and inspection systems
· Plan, conduct and monitor testing and inspection of materials and products to ensure finished product quality
· Document internal audits and other quality assurance activities
· Investigate customer complaints and non-conformance issues
· Collect and compile statistical quality data
· Analyse data to identify areas for improvement in the quality and automation capabilities
· Develop, recommend and monitor corrective and preventive actions
· Prepare reports to communicate outcomes of quality activities
· Identify training needs and organize training interventions to meet quality standards
· Coordinate and support on-site audits conducted by external providers
· Evaluate audit findings and implement appropriate corrective actions
· Monitor risk management activities Assure ongoing compliance with quality and industry regulatory requirements
|Testing and automation types:
· Device testing, Integration Testing, UI, E2E, API, REST Device Testing
· UFT, Selenium, Postman, Appium, Mobile Centre, SoupUI
· Eclipse, IntelliJ
· Jenkins, Bamboo etc.
Version control tools:
· GIT, Bitbucket
· JIRA (Zephyr), QC / ALM
· NewRelic, Load Runner, NeoLoad, JMeter
· Java, C#, SQL, Python
|Experience of testing using test management tools such as QC / Zephyr||1-2 years||Yes|
|A commitment to quality and a thorough approach to work||2-4 years||Yes|
Additional Context / Environment Comments:
- Willing to work overtime when required.
- Planning and organising.
- Deadline driven.
- Learning and researching.
- Analysing and problem solving.
- Applying expertise and technology.
- Working with people.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Delivering results and meeting customer expectations.
- Confident enough in their ability to test that they can push back on a developer when tests fail
- Must not only test what works, but also look for what does not work, and try to break the system
- Excellent documentation skills & adherence to standards
- Needs to be a problem solver, enjoy digging through numbers
- Needs to be able to run with a task on their own