The Network Engineer (L2) is an entry level position in the Networking Engineers job family and is proactive in identifying, investigating and resolving technical incidents and problems and restoring service to clients by managing incidents to resolution. Their primary objective is to ensure zero missed service level agreement conditions. The Network Engineer (L2) focuses on second line support for medium complexity incidents and maintains the Networking environmental and monitoring equipment.
They ensure that assigned infrastructure at the client site is configured, installed, tested and operational. In this regard they will perform necessary checks, apply monitoring tools and respond to alerts. Where software is a component of the solution they will also take responsibility for ensuring that the software is installed and configured according to client requirements.
Identify problems and errors
The Network Engineer (L2) identifies problems and errors prior to or when they occur. He or she will log such incidents in a timely manner with the required level of detail with all the necessary. They liaise with all stakeholders including client IT environments, vendors, carriers and company colleagues to expedite diagnosis of errors and problems and to identify a resolution.
Ensure resolution of incidents and requests
They investigate second line support calls assigned to them and identify the root cause of incidents and requests. This could involve ensuring that repairs are carried out by coordinating product requests and liaising with other team members. They will also report and escalate issues to 3rd party vendors if necessary. They take full ownership for managing the incident to resolution within the service level conditions.
Where necessary, they escalate requests and exceptions to the 3rd line support team.
They provide continuous feedback to clients and affected parties and update all systems and/or portals as prescribed by company procedures.
When required they will take responsibility receiving calls and incidents at the services desk. They assist in analysing, assigning and escalating the support calls. They also provide telephonic support to clients where required.
They update incidents with progress and resolution details.
Network Engineers (L2) are also responsible for producing breach and other reports that are necessary for the correct operation of processes. They identify failures and short-comings in the current processes and escalate with recommendations.
Network Engineers (L2) are required to strictly comply with all processes and procedures as prescribed by company and the client when relevant. Their ability to communicate well and to capture all pertinent details when required will contribute to their success.
Experience & Qualifications:
- 4 – 6 year’s work experience
- At least 4 years’ experience in implementing, administering and troubleshooting network infrastructure devices, including: routers, switches, wireless access points, controllers, WAN optimizers and monitoring applications
- Cisco Certifications – minimum CCNA / CCDA, CCNP preferred
- Cisco Experience 3- 5 years in a similar environment
- Must be able to work under pressure and make quality decisions in terms of prioritising work
- Based at a client site in Bellville
- Must be able to deal with handling multiple projects or tasks at the same time
- Need a self-starter (min mgt overhead) who sees opportunities to address technical problems and take ownership of an environment
- Be good with clients ie friendly and approachable and willing to go the extra mile
Role / Responsibilities:
In this position you will be required to:
- Ensure that assigned infrastructure at the client site is configured, installed, tested and operational and that software is installed and configured according to client requirements.
- Provide Networking support to clients which includes provisioning, asset management, monitoring, implementation, troubleshooting and support Networking operations and related infrastructure.
- Identify problems and errors prior to or when they occur and log all such incidents in a timely manner with the required level of detail.
- Take full ownership for managing the incident to resolution within the service level conditions.
- Perform level 2 server and network troubleshooting, server rack mounting and cable patching / management.
- Provide telephonic support to clients when required and update the relevant systems as per company procedures.
- Perform the necessary hand over procedures in cases where shift work is required.
- Produce breach and other reports to identify failures and short-comings.