Our client is looking for an experienced MySQL database administrator who will be responsible for ensuring the performance, availability, and security of MySQL instances. This Intermediate role will also require you to be responsible for orchestrating upgrades, backups, and provisioning of database instances. You will also work in tandem with the other teams, preparing documentations and specifications as required. The MySQL instances will be hosted in our datacenter as well as in AWS/Microsoft cloud platforms.
- Grade 12
- IT-related qualification
- 5+ years managing MySQL databases
To manage all MySQL installations and upgrades:
- Ensure a standard is applied to all installations.
- Keep track of new software versions and plan upgrades.
- Raise awareness for END-OF-LIFE versions.
To assist Development Teams in designing and optimising systems:
- Review database designs and make recommendations to address shortcomings.
- Perform proactive monitoring and feedback to developers, highlighting queries that can be improved.
To carry out basic database administrative tasks:
- Check OS and Database logs.
- Do backups and restores as requested.
- Do regular disaster recovery trials.
- Profile server resource usage, optimise and tweak as necessary
- Resolve incidents.
- Automate maintenance tasks through appropriate scripting language.
- Monitor capacity to prevent unplanned outages.
- Grant permission to servers and databases in conjunction with standards as per SECURITY team.
- Design HIGH AVAILABILITY architecture.
Knowledge & Skills:
- 5+ years general understanding of database management concepts
- 5+ years Strong proficiency in MySQL database management
- 5+ years Strong proficiency in Linux operating system
- 5+ years Good understanding of InnoDB and MyISAM storage engines