Data Base Administrator
Proactively manage and maintain the performance, integrity and security of databases required for the optimal functioning of the business.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Grade 12 or equivalent qualification
- Qualification in Computer Science, Information Systems or equivalent
- Database technology certification
- Understanding of structured query language (SQL)
- Knowledge of DB2 and Postgres
- Knowledge of Linux
- Experience with database software / web applications
- General understanding of storage technologies and networking
- General understanding of routine maintenance, recovery, trouble shooting and handling failover of a database
- Good working knowledge of IT security best practice and standards
- General understanding of installation and configuration management
- Knowledge of the full Software Development Lifecycle
- 2-4 years’ relevant IT experience
Responsibilities and work output:
- Manage the installation and upgrades of all database server and application tools, according to defined standards.
- Contribute to database design and maintain and update existing databases to ensure optimal functionality.
- Allocate system storage and plan storage requirements for database systems, to ensure maintenance and smooth operations.
- Modify the database structure, as necessary, based on guidance and input from application developers.
- Define users and manage user access for each segment of the database, to ensure data security, integrity and compliance.
- Develop contingency plans for the recovery of data, which includes backups and disaster recovery plans.
- Responsible for the setup and testing of new databases and data handling systems, in accordance with defined standards.
- Manage data extraction through query definitions that enables ease of access to stored data.
- Manage and monitor data replication and implement measures to correct any replication failures.
- Compile and document required security practices, best practices, guidelines, policies and procedures, continuity administration and maintenance (backup, DR, replication).
- Conduct root cause analysis and implement fixes for any identified issues with databases or data handling processes.
- Automate processes and repetitive tasks that creates efficiencies and eases operational dependencies.
- Provide authoritative, expertise and advice to clients and stakeholders.
- Examining Information
- Documenting Facts
- Adopting Practical Approaches
- Team Working
- Meeting Timescales
- Checking Things
- Following Procedures
- Managing Tasks