Backend Developer | Retail IT | IT Recruitment
- The company is looking for talented developers who are willing to help us integrate our world class and diverse systems together in helping to solve vital problems and provide cutting-edge features to the business.
- We have adopted a Microservices architecture with RESTful API’s predominantly written in Scala, with some built in Go.
- Our Microservices are built and deployed on an elastic containerized infrastructure supported and managed on premises through Kubernetes.
- This opportunity allows you not just to develop solutions that allow us to build better software, but also form part of a DevOps team where you will get to explore all aspects of web application architecture, solution design, scaling, and testing.
- At the company, we are constantly looking for better ways of doing things, so if you can bring a willingness and excitement to find innovative solutions in a performance-driven environment that will allow you to play with the latest and great technologies, then we may just be perfect for you.
- Tertiary Qualification in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related technical discipline
- Analyze and design new features
- Write elegant robust code
- Write unit, integration, and acceptance tests for all components
- Write build and deployment automation scripts
- Improve and optimize the performance of existing systems
- Troubleshoot and root-cause errors
- Mentor other developers
- Deliver features timeously
- Proficiency in modern microservices programming language such as Go, Scala, Java, or Python.
- Proficiency in a database technology such as SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL or PostgreSQL and Object-relational mapping
- Since we are a multi-technology environment, knowledge of computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms are a necessity
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes and testing
- Strong software design skills
- Experience in distributed computing and building enterprise-wide systems
- At least 3 years’ worth of professional development experience
- Proficiency in message queueing technology such as RabbitMQ
- Docker, Kubernetes, Microservices knowledge/experience
- Functional programming knowledge
Key Attributes & Competencies:
- Attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to work with diverse personality types and deal with conflict in an effective way
- Ability to work individually and with teams within an Agile context
- Experience in influencing best practices within teams